Pages

Saturday 18 July 2015

PTS 89 + Warhammer 40k Robots + Citadel Miniatures + Rogue Trader

Castellan 'Templar' Robot. 
Yes, it's Painting Table Saturday #89. You may recall from last week that I was given some classic Citadel Robots by my good friend Lewis Morgan. Painting these has been a massive undertaking. The initial idea was to paint according to the colour schemes given in Rogue Trader, Warhammer 40k. This proved to be challenging to say the least. Checkers in particular are difficult to paint on three dimensional surfaces.

I gave it a go with one and the diagonals were killing me, so I decided to scrap that plan and let my imagination guide my brush and the palette. Inspired by a variety of not totally recalled memories of robots from my youth, the original idea of including heraldric devices was scaled back. Painting became simpler with bold colours and designs.




The Colossus, Castellan, Conquerer and Cataphract are all great robots. I gave each their own identity and let their character shine through.

The Cataphract 'Lily 9' Robot

The Cataphract 'Lily 9' Robot features the number 9 (thanks dad) and the fleur-de-lis (from my days as a boy-scout), with colours inspired by an Irish folk song about a man whose father was a Protestant (Orange) and whose mother was a Catholic (Green).








The Conquerer 'Legion of the Damned' Robot

The Conquerer began with diamonds on his legs and ended up with flames and skulls! A fighting robot of the Legion of the Damned. What could be cooler?









The Castellan 'Templar' Robot

This one is the real deal. Originally I thought of red and purple but thankfully went with a more saintly white and gold. Or cream and bronze with verdigris. This one bears the Maltese Cross and therefore I named him Templar.









The Colossus 'Optimus Prime' Robot

The Colossus is yet to be finished, in a state of Transformation you might say. I am currently going with something like this:



Ok, computer. I have some work left to do!

God bless you and have a great week!


6 comments:

  1. They look fantastic Darcy with bold colors and great detail !
    I'm looking forward to the 'Optimus Prime' one.
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mario. Optimus Prime has had a lot of paint applied thus far. I may yet have to strip him and begin again!

      Delete
  2. That's a really cool looking Legion of The Damned robot
    Excellent painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roy. Definitely my favourite space marine chapter from back in the 80's.

      Delete
  3. I am soooo stealing ideas from those paintjobs...

    All exquisite really.

    ReplyDelete